I am plunging back into the world of mold-making and casting. I am not good at this, and I struggle with being precise and methodical (boring :-))! But I want to create useful molds of a few difficult pieces modeled in oil-based clay. I find this difficult, and would love to have help.
I sprayed the clay model with clear gloss acrylic before making a pourable silicone block mold. The mold is not completely 3-D, as the back is not enclosed. So the resulting resin cast is flat & must “lie down”. Not sure why I chose bright metallic copper powder in the mold; it is rather ghastly.
I had to slit more of the block mold than planned to remove the clay and be able to remove the castings. This first cast was made with old resin, and is fragile, with a rough pitted surface texture. The feet broke off in the mold, and had to be glued on! I hope the next cast, now curing, will be more successful.
I have refined my watercolor collage sketch a bit, rescanning and working with digital variations. Sometimes I spend a long time in my chosen manipulation software in order to make my transformations and enhancements. It is not always easy or quick selecting the desired sections of an artwork, and this especially true with watercolors that may bleed into each other, and on textured paper where shadows create variations our eyes and brains will generally ignore!
So in addition to working the original a bit, I have tried light and dark as the background frame, and applied different digital manipulations on the trees separated from the window and shadows.
I created this watercolor & collage “sketch” last night in our weekly art group. In the two hour session, I worked quickly, trying to capture a bit of magic that I often see along my path to art class. When a certain large window is lit from inside, another neighbors’ bare winter trees are silhouetted from a certain angle. I enjoy this combination on a dark night.
For this collage, I used water soluble graphite & watercolor paint on a (very warped & old!) piece watercolor paper. Then I sketched & cut the trees from black paper, and added the purple “shadows”. The blue green version is a digital variation.
This has changed a bit in the final version. It is now darker and more complex with the addition of more watercolor and subtle collage elements. It is now time to stop, and to declare it finished!
The scan of the original is on the left. As you can see, it is fairly dark and subtle in color. But since I do enjoy drama as well as subtlety, I have created two digital variations. These are included to the right of the original 10″ x 10″ x 1″ collage on wrapped panel.
Sometimes a piece comes together quickly, or at least the basic essential work is clear early on, even if final touches take longer! But at other times, the first couple of versions bear very little resemblance to the final work, although some original forms & colors may still be visible. This piece has transformed several times, and may or may not be finished!
The light blue waterfall with the spidery black hole is the current version of the original acrylic painting, 8″ x 10″ on black canvas, scanned. This is the draft #8; I quite like it at the moment so it may be the final version. The rather garish multi-colored image at right is, of course, a digital foil of draft #8, and a somewhat more subdued digital foil is in the middle.
Above left is draft #2, very pink and muddy, and followed by draft #4 (dark blue and very streaky and busy). I don’t like either of these, or other intermediate drafts.
So in the current version at top the open circle all but disappeared, and most of the original colors are completely covered up… so it goes!
Above is a 10″ x 10″ block wrapped in a pre-printed paper. I have worked over this with ink. I like the earlier version best, so I will have to keep working to “fix” it to a better balance… so it goes!
Below is more of the same paper, worked with ink, and layered/collaged onto a wooden plaque. The original is in the center, with digital variations on either side
Hard to explain this sketch, or maybe not. I have yard art that I am very fond of, and would love to “translate” into more durable form & media. This doodle is about that, and may help me achieve this eventually. It won’t be as simple as just remaking the work in sturdier material & form, as something vital will likely be lost in the process… I need to capture the essence that I like, rather than try to duplicate the work.
Working on black for both of the works above: at top is acrylics on an 8″x10″ wrapped canvas, and below it is a 11″ x 14″ black art board, worked with mixed media, including pastel, colored pencil, pen, and acrylic paint! Of course the versions on the right are the digital variations that I cannot resist!
I volunteered to work on a sort of stage set “Harry Potter fireplace” for a neighbor (!), but was stumped as how best to accomplish this mission. My goal was to re-use a pile of styrofoam packing blocks that I have stored for years, just knowing these would come in handy for a project. Now, many months later, the project is almost complete. I fear the neighbor has outgrown this enthusiasm, but that is OK; I am guessing someone in Port Townsend will want a fireplace… :-).
This ultra lightweight “fireplace” is about 30″ wide, 25″ high, and 13″ deep with the hearth included. The back and interior is not final yet, and will be customizable! The hollow core and styrofoam is just painted, so the whole thing is rather fragile. I had imagined using plaster on gauze to create a hard shell over the foam, but that would be a lot of work, and the result would be much heavier!