This is a 9?x12? page divided into 12 squares, each representing difficult achievements in my life! The inspiration is the Twelve Labors of Hercules, the media are water soluble graphite, watercolor pencil, & watercolor paint on paper, draft 1 is on the left, draft 2 in the center, with the digital version of draft #1 at right.
The events are not in chronological order. Captions for the squares/events, left to right, top to bottom:
- early rebellion, childhood success stopping ballet lessons,
- prison like boredom #1,
- grey boring sensory deprivation (career at Boeing) from which I …
- escape into a more colorful world (Port Townsend),
- growing a garden, in more ways than one,
- angst, anger, dysfunctional personal dynamics learned as a child,
- from which I extract myself (mostly),
- house #1 (building the straw-bale home in Port Townsend),
- appreciation & awareness of nature,
- making art, my own studio, etc.
- making art: expanding into sculpture, casting, & learning to carve rock,
- house #2, my current home & studio.